Friday, December 21, 2012

25 Days of Christmas - Day 19: What Happened to Christmas Caroling?



I've noticed in recent years the sharp decline of Christmas caroling in my community. I remember when I was a child, there used to be these church groups that would go through the neighborhood caroling. It was nice to hear. These days, it doesn't happen anywhere from what I can see except in those picturesque small towns that's like something out of a Norman Rockwell painting. Why don't we go door-to-door caroling anymore?!

There is somewhat of a movement to bring back wide-spread caroling during the holidays. Last week in Westport, Connecticut a large group of people attempted to set a Guinness Book world record for door-to-door Christmas caroling. The event was titled "One Voice" and it was organized by the Westport Unitarian Church. Since such a category doesn't actually EXIST, Guinness set a list of criteria the carolers would have to meet in order to "set a record." This event was done to benefit a local charity named Lily Sarah Grace fund which stands to help arts programs in underfunded elementary schools across America. The charity gets its namesake from three Stamford sisters who died when their house burned down Christmas Day 2011. Apparently the event was a success in that in brought attention to their cause as well as the group managing to set the new record with a total of 502 carolers.

What I love about this story is that the community got together and embraced the idea of the caroling mainly because it was for a good cause. I would totally be on board for doing an event like this in my hometown if I thought that people would actually SUPPORT it. I could care less about breaking a world record. The idea that one could use such a wonderful activity as caroling to bring Christmas cheer to others as well as supporting a worthy charity effort is enough motivation for me to get involved.

So, next year, I'm getting folks together to go caroling. I don't care how many people think we are crazy. I want my Norman Rockwell holiday fantasy darn it!

If you want to donate to One Voice and their charity, click on this link here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Remember, keep it nerdy!