Wednesday, December 19, 2012

25 Days of Christmas - Day 18: Christmas Music Playlist



Christmas time is the only time of the year that has its own special music genre. The rest of the year, the songs are generally the same old mainstream pop, rock, or hip-hop. Christmas music is for the nostalgic and the whimsical. I feel funny playing it any other time of the year. That's why I look forward to Christmas because I can finally dust off all my Christmas mix CDs  and play them on a never-ending loop. My best Christmas music memory was a couple years ago when I was staying in a lake house in the mountains for Christmas with some folks I knew. The den had this huge flat screen with surround sound system with an iPod/iPhone docking station. I'd hook my iPhone up to it and play the Charlie Brown Christmas album. Sitting on that comfortable wrap around sofa with a blanket and listening to "O Tannebaum" was wonderful.

Given my love of Christmas music, it stands to reason that I'd have some of my favorites that make it on my play rotation each year. I've decided to be a good little blogger and list my all time favorite Christmas songs that I've loved my entire life. I'm sure I'm missing some because I had to redo my Christmas playlist this year due to a hard drive crash last year which caused me to lose my entire music collection. *sad face*

"This Christmas" by The Temptations

"A Holly Jolly Christmas" by Burt Ives

"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" both the Judy Garland and Bing Crosby versions

"All I Want For Christmas" by Mariah Carey

"The Chipmunk Song"  by The Chipmunks

"White Christmas" both Bing Crosby and Otis Redding versions

"Cool Yule" by Louis Armstrong

"Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!" by Dean Martin

The entire Charlie Brown Christmas album (of course)

"That Spirit of Christmas" by Ray Charles

"Jingle Bells" by Frank Sinatra

"All Alone on Christmas" by Darlene Love

"Little Saint Nick" by The Beach Boys

"The Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole

"It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" by Andy Williams

"Silent Night" by The Temptations

"My Grown Up Christmas List" by Amy Grant or Kelly Clarkson

"Carol of the Bells" for me, there are only two true versions of this: John Williams and Trans-Siberian Orchestra

"O Holy Night" I like many different versions of this song. I'm quite jealous of anyone who can sing it because I have found it extremely difficult to sing due to it frequently being sung in such a high key.

"Jingle Bell Rock" by Bobby Helms

"Let It Snow" by Boyz II Men (for those romantic nights when you're curled up with someone special)

The entire Nutcracker suite because I played these songs on piano quite often growing up and I've long been obsessed with Tchaikovsky's work. I could correctly spell his full name before I was ten years old!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Remember, keep it nerdy!