Monday, December 17, 2012

25 Days of Christmas - Day 15: The Hobbit, Star Trek preview, and My Bad Theater Experience



Okay, so this isn't exactly a Christmas post, but I think they released The Hobbit at the perfect time of the year. Yes, they could've released it during the Blockbuster season (May-August) but around Christmas is a good time as well. You can take the family to see it (maybe not small children) and it's so beautiful to look at. I don't see what people are complaining about with the 48 frames per second issue. I thought it made the film look extremely crisp and beautiful but the theater I was at kind of has shitty IMAX. Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins is perfect although his performance is reminiscent of his character from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy with the whole adventurous fish out of water element. Freeman comes off as bumbling but completely adorable and more brave than he (or the Dwarves) initially give him credit for. The thing I hated most about the film was its length and the way it ended. The filmmakers could've done a better job at editing and cutting down certain scenes that were merely filler. As for the ending? It came out of nowhere. It just abruptly ends right after Bilbo proves himself to the Dwarves and their leader Thorin. Now, I went into the film having never read any of the J.R.R. Tolkien books or viewing any of the previous movies. *gasp* Yeah, I know, I have to get on that. I wanted to see the film with a fresh perspective that hadn't been tainted by the love of the books and previous movies. An experience that, sadly, I didn't get with the Harry Potter series. Despite the minor shortcomings, I enjoyed The Hobbit and now I'm excited for the upcoming sequels. I also have to read the book and see the other LOTR movies, but maybe after I've seen the next two Hobbit films.



As for the Star Trek: Into the Darkness extended preview? Oh... my... GOD! I nearly threw my panties at the screen, that's how awesome it was. Granted, that would've been difficult seeing as though I was wearing pants. Hmmm... tricky. Anyways, that teaser was like giving someone a bite of an awesome dessert and then saying "Oh, no more! Gotta wait an hour for us to make some!" How can I possibly wait six months to see the film in its entirety without chomping at the bit in the meantime? How crazy was Spock and his stubborn logic with trying to convince Kirk to leave him behind in a volcano that's about to explode? And let's not forget Benedict Cumberbatch as... well... we don't really know WHO he's playing. We know he's the villain because that's been made obvious in the teasers that have been released. Which baddie he's playing, well, they are keeping that a tightly held secret for now. Guess I'll find out in May if he's indeed playing Khan or Gary Mitchell, but the inclusion of Carol Marcus in the story has me thinking it's Khan.

All of this film viewing was tainted by what can only be called a shitty theater experience. I'm not just talking about the lackluster IMAX but rude and inconsiderate patrons. One patron in particular made me see red. Now, I understand that with the bucket-size drinks and "tubs" of popcorn that are actually troughs that it might be a little difficult to hold onto your concessions. Should you spill your delicious beverage in the middle of the film, the proper thing to do would be to at least make some attempt to quietly clean it up. Letting the puddle drift on down the aisle until it's underneath the feet and purses of the people sitting next to you is inconsiderate. Am I asking too much? Not only did I have to move seats because of this, but my purse got a good soaking as well as my phone inside. Yay! After the film, upon confronting said dumb ass woman, she cops an attitude instead of agreeing that she should've cleaned up her OWN MESS. I'm not proud of being a jerk, but I made the girl cry when I was done with her. People in theaters these days act as if the whole theater is their living room for them to play on their phones, talk incessantly, and leave trash for others to clean up. Hey, guess what lady? The rest of us also paid $17 to get into this film in addition to overpriced drinks and snacks! Have some compassion for the rest of us and realize that the world doesn't revolve around you! Her bloated sense of entitlement reminded me of that ditzy broad who left an angry voicemail for the manager of an Alamo Drafthouse in Texas.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Remember, keep it nerdy!